A collaboration between Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, LLP (“Stradley”) and the Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania (“HBAPA”), the Stradley / HBAPA’s Diversity Scholarship Program (“Scholarship”) was established to identify, support, and train exceptionally qualified diverse law students who demonstrate the characteristics needed to become future leaders in the legal profession.
Designed for rising second-year law students (or rising third-year evening law students), the Scholarship will provide the recipient with financial support, ongoing mentoring, and hands-on experience working in a law firm and corporate law department. Successful candidates should demonstrate outstanding academic achievements, exceptional leadership qualities, and a desire to practice law in the Greater Philadelphia Area. It is the Selection Committee’s goal to not only help students financially, but also to take an active and ongoing role in identifying and furthering the professional development of future leaders in the legal profession.
The Selection Committee consists of Deborah Hong, Partner, Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP; Hyung J. Bak, Vice Present, Group General Counsel and Secretary, AmerisourceBergen Corporation; and Juan Baez, President, HBAPA, in an advisory capacity.
Recipients of the Stradley / HBAPA Diversity Scholarship will receive:
- A financial scholarship of $5,000
- A paid 9-week summer position in 2018 (following completion of 2L/3LE studies), fulfilled through working a 5-week internship with Stradley at the firm’s Philadelphia office, followed immediately by an additional 4-week internship with the in-house legal department of AmerisourceBergen Corporation in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. Expected training will include:
- Legal Research and writing
- Verbal communication skills
- Understanding of in-house legal operations and business processes
- Observation of legal proceedings and business transactions
- Eligibility for post-graduation employment with Stradley
- Ongoing mentoring and support from members of the Selection Committee
- Opportunity to attend various social and networking events
To be eligible for the Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a rising 2L (or 3LE) at an ABA accredited law school
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, and a student member of HBAPA
- Have an exceptional academic record
- Have a demonstrated connection to the Greater Philadelphia Area, and/or intend to practice law in the Greater Philadelphia Area
The Selection Committee will review all applications to determine the best overall applicant. Students applying for the Scholarship must submit to an evaluation process, which includes a written essay, as well as a personal interview. The Scholarship will be awarded to an applicant with outstanding academic credentials, who possesses characteristics and potential for future leadership, and who demonstrates a connection to the Greater Philadelphia Area, and/or the desire to practice law in the Greater Philadelphia Area.
All applications must be emailed (in a single PDF attachment) to DiversityScholarship@Stradley.com, with a copy to email@example.com, by the July 14, 2017 deadline. Additional application instructions are provided in the downloadable application form.
Any questions about application submission and interviews should be directed to Sarah Sullivan at SSullivan@Stradley.com or (215) 564-8107.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION FORM
DEADLINES & TIMETABLE
- All applications must be received by July 14, 2017.
- Finalist interviews will run through August 11, 2017.
- Selection of the Scholarship recipient will be made in August 2017 and the recipient will be notified at that time.
- The Scholarship recipient will be publicly announced during the HBAPA’s annual scholarship reception in the fall of 2017 (date to bedetermined). Attendance will be mandatory.
ABOUT STRADLEY RONON STEVENS & YOUNG, LLP
Counseling clients since 1926, Stradley Ronon has helped private and public companies – from small businesses to Fortune 500 corporations – achieve their goals by providing pragmatic, value-driven legal counsel. With offices in eight strategic locations, our responsive team of more than 200 attorneys seamlessly addresses the full spectrum of our clients’ needs, ranging from sophisticated corporate transactions to complex commercial litigation.
ABOUT THE HISPANIC BAR ASSOCIATION OF PENNSYLVANIA
The Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania (HBAPA) is a professional organization composed of members of the Bar and law students of Hispanic ancestry as well as other interested persons. The HBAPA was founded to provide a forum for Hispanic and other lawyers who are interested in effecting change in our communities.
ABOUT AMERISOURCEBERGEN CORPORATION
AmerisourceBergen is one of the largest global pharmaceutical sourcing and distribution services companies, helping both healthcare providers and pharmaceutical and biotech manufacturers improve patient access to products and enhance patient care. With services ranging from drug distribution and niche premium logistics to reimbursement and pharmaceutical consulting services, AmerisourceBergen delivers innovative programs and solutions across the pharmaceutical supply channel in human and animal health. With over $145 billion in annual revenue, AmerisourceBergen is headquartered in Valley Forge, PA, and employs approximately 19,000 people. AmerisourceBergen is ranked #12 on the Fortune 500 list.